3.13.2012

La Bomba (a night of dancing and percussion) and How I locked myself INSIDE of my house

So I have to share my experience at La Bomba del Tiempo last night.  They hold these percussion shows every Monday from 7-10:30.  Short and sweet, everyone clearing out after.  It is somewhat of a hippiefest, but at the same time it is also a place where portenos and travelers/tourists meet and there is just tons of energy, beer drinking, and yes weed smoke in the air.  But the weed and beer wasn't the source of energy.  Nobody is messed up, most people having at most two beers, or splitting a joint between friends.  The energy comes from the 15 or so percussionists wailing away in syncopation, everybody dancing uncontrollably, and is just a healthy get-together.  


When I got there the music was just beginning.  At the front they have the "conductor", who is more or less the organizer and communicator, keeping everybody in sync and giving solos to different instruments and players.  It was an unbelievably energetic show.  I was dancing the entire time, not caring about what I looked like or who was around me.  At the end they always have one or two guest performers, this time being a reggae singer, and the other a trumpet player...both unbelievable musicians.  I have a video of the singer, but unfortunately my camera ran out of memory before the trumpet started...but it was probably my favorite part of the show. I was there with an irish buddy, and 8 or so girls from my school, all from Holland except one English girl and a girl from Turkey...all around a blast.

I love how here, everybody more or less gets along, and by that I mean there are a lot of travelers mostly from Europe, and the locals are super friendly towards everybody and inviting, as well as welcoming.  I have met so many "portenos" and they have all been super interested and super friendly.  I know I've said this before, but if you can speak spanish or even give it your best shot, you get brownie points haha.  Anyways, it was all around a fantastic time and plan to try and go if not every monday, every other monday because it was jsut a nice way of meeting people, without this need you have in bars to be messed up.  The music takes away your inhibition, and as hippie parties usually go, everybody was peaceful and positive vibes were surrounding the warehouse.  An experience everyone must try if you travel to Buenos Aires.


I have a pretty funny story I have to share real quick.  On saturday, I went to dinner with friends from school.  We met at my house, and shortly thereafter left.  I have two locks on my door; a regular one and a deadbolt.  Without knowing, I put my kjey int he deadbolt, and thought it would be ok because usually in the states its the same key.  Well it locked, and locked kinda funny.  I didn't think anything of it until I returned after dinner.  Well, The key must not have fit, because I soon found out that I was locked out and it was not going to budge.  Its hard to explain how I got in, but I basically climbed in through a window in a stairwell (with help of neighbors), and scaled my building (don't worry ground floor) and jumped down into my terrace.  Got in through my back door, thinking I could get it open from the inside.  Well, I was originally locked out...after my smart move...I was locked in.  
I called my roommate and he did the same thing because we both wanted to sleep.  Forgetting the next day was sunday and that almost everything was closed, after waking up, we quickly realized that we were screwed.  I emailed my landlord, called him... no answer.  Then my argentine phone and my roommate's ran out of minutes.  Luckily our neighbors checked in on us, and I passed my phone and money through the window.  They reloaded my phone and I called Luli.  She called an emergency locksmith (who i had originally called but he didn't realize...or I couldn't articulate that we were locked in) and came over.  I told him for all I knew, it was the same key...and he quickly got to work.  After about a half hour of working he said nothing was happening and that he may have to break the lock (600 pesos to fix).  We said we don't want that until a last resort.  Finally, after about an hour...he unlocked it and the door flung open, Aaron and I basically jumping on the guy out of excitement.  It was a very serious situation until it was over, then it all became a hilarious story.  Anyways, all is well now.  I had to pay the locksmith 250pesos (appx 65 dollars), but my landlord said he'd cover it.

Things are still good here.  I'm trying to plan my trip to Uruguay very soon, as I have to make a visa run (mine runs out after 3 months here), but I have been wanting to go regardless.  I love this city, but I need some beach or any form of nature, so we will see where I end up going.

Chau for now!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment