2.02.2012

week in BA with pops!

So the last week has been nice, waking up at about 9 having some breakfast, then walking around trying to get an idea of the city.  My dad leaves friday, and its been nice decompressing from the climb.  After breakfast we walk to different parts of town or see different memorials, historical sites, hitting cafes along the way.  I checked out my school, and where I'll be living which is a pretty central location and in a good part of town.  We've had steaks almost every night which is what argentines are known for.  We found a great coffee shop in which I'm writing this blog.  I've been doing a little spanish practice on my own and know enough to order from a menu, grab a cab etc. but def eager to start learning more and being able to have a conversation.  Buenos Aires is nice, it has a very european feel, and everyone eats no earlier than 9:30 with the majority coming out at about 10.  We've been taking full advantage of siesta, which goes from 2-6ish, when most shops, restaurants close and everyone takes breaks.  There's lots of live music, and tango bars.  The whole city feels alive and is pretty navigable. 
The weather is in the 90's which is nice because I love summer, and with the lack of snow back home, don't mind missing it.  Everyone is pretty friendly here, and everything is pretty cheap, your average ribeye steak costing about 12 dollars.  I love the cafe scenes and the coffee is great.  Looking forward to exploring more and meeting people sunday when I move into the hostel.  My dad and I have been having fun, and after almost a month straight together, haven't had much conflict.  Definitely ready to be on my own, and have that feeling of just being on my watch, and be able to do whatever I am feeling I want to do.  I know that as soon as he goes, I'll also be missing him and all of my familiar faces, but that's what this is all about.
 I'm going to be alone in a big city, thousands of miles from my homeland, with very few people speaking my language.  Kinda excited ;)! Not too much to share, just been exploring the different "barrios" or neighborhoods of BA and deciding where I'll be hanging out.  I have a girlfriend from high school who goes to school down here, and has offered to take me out and stuff which  is awesome!  I move into my hostel Sunday and start school monday.  HopingI start meeting people quickly! Anyways, that is all for now.  Hope everyones doing well in the states!


No comments:

Post a Comment