2.09.2012

two days of music, and an embarrassing moment!

The last two days have been an amazing amount of fun.  I am really getting to know my roommates better, and we are all warming up to each other and are discovering more and more commonalities.  Sara was classically trained in the upright bass and decided to bring a ukulele (which is strung the same as a bass) traveling.  She lost her passion for the bass, and hadn't played anything in a while.  Deciding she wanted to start again, picked up the uke for size and ease.  And because she's classically trained, she is very easy to communicate to musically and shes picked it up quite fast.  Coincidentally, I had been debating between bringing and uke and my guitar, and as things always tend to work out...now I have both.  I have been picking it up, and sara and I have been transcribing some of my original music to uke so that we can jam.  I can't forget about Devon, who had never picked up an instrument.  She picked up a couple songs on the uke almost immediately, and has been practicing and sounds amazing!  I know a natural when I see one after teaching (or attempting to teach)  people, and it just clicks with her.  I also gave her a little harmonica 101 (I brought 5 keys).  She picked it up immediately and the three of us jammed for about 3 hours last night.  Last night was the most fun I've had in a while.  We shared bands we liked, as well as practiced, learned songs, and cooked dinner.

After being inspired by our music, we decided we needed to go see some live music, and we went to a bar I found two nights ago, after coming back from dinner.  I heard what sounded like a beautiful female blues voice, and some sick guitar.  My ears took me into this little hole in the wall and immediately fell in love with it.  The band plays almost every night and has different sub groups, playing all types of music.  Tuesday it was all blues and rock covers, with two argentine singers, a girl and guy, doing duets.  Absolutely perfect.  After their set, I went out for a cig and decided to practice my Spanish!  It was nice because as I said in my previous blog, they love you if you only attempt to speak.  After they realized I couldn't get across what I was trying to say, they just started speaking perfect english HAHA.  They were all very cool people, and they greeted me and invited me to another show saturday night.  Last night, a different singer, and an added keyboard player were there.  The music was amazing flamenco pop rock, and turns out some girls we met last weekend were there and invited us to sit at their table.  It was a very fun, laid back night.  The bar is a little intimate place, dim lit lights and that funky smell every little hole in the wall should have.  I was hanging out with the band after the show a little bit and just talking music and trying to speak more spanish.  Its so funny because literally every day that goes by, I can speak and comprehend more, it's great to see that. 

I have to share this embarrassing moment.  So after the band was through, I grabbed the guitarist and said "estas muy muy bueno", this literally translates to "you are very very good!"  What I didn't realize is that in Argentina, or in most spanish speaking countries, that means "you are really really hot".  The argentine girls we were with instantly burst out laughing, as they already knew my story and that I was in the midst of learning.  The guy laughed said thanks and continued outside, but they said he understood what I was trying to say...but just one of those classic mash ups with language.  I couldn't stop laughing.
School has been very good, and very intense.  It goes from 9am-1pm with a thirty minute lunch break.  Today, despite the amount of time and work, decided I want more...so i signed up for 1on1 lessons with my current teacher.  I like him a lot, his names Mariano and is from Buenos Aires, but has lived around the world.  And coincidentally plays key board/piano and loves blues, rock, jazz, and plays a lot.  So we're going to also get together sometime in the next month.  He's a very knowledgeable person and is so down to help any way he can.  He gave me a list of places with the best live music, helps me a lot, and also just frequently shares culture.  Anyways back to the point...an extra two hours with one on one lessons, just speaking and hearing which is what i need the most!  Very excited

The girls also told me they really like me as a person and a roommate and want me to stay longer.  Because I got credited another months worth of classes (after bailing out of their accommodation),  I want to just continue school.  I love these girls, and all the other people were meeting.  The house and neighborhood is great, and I love the people and culture here, and also never got to study abroad...so i think my answer to their request is...Absolutely.  And I know once I leave I won't want to get settled anywhere else, and will be constantly on the move.  So its a good time to do it, and obviously really wanting to learn the language.  It is not final, but as of now I think it is the smartest, travel wise, and just submerging myself into culture and learning the language.

Today, Sara and I went for a two mile run, and we got stared at by every single person.  By gross guys looking at Sara, but also everyone else because we are two pretty obvious white people in some bright workout clothes, and noticed that no one really runs in this city.  We ran to a beautiful grass park nearby.  Instantly deciding I'm going to get a frisbee or a soccer ball, and bring the uke and guitar and make a nice little afternoon out of it.  A very nice and easy little route that I am going to start doing daily, despite getting stared at (which I also guarantee won't happen as much when Sara isn't with me haha).  Anyways, things are still going very well.  I have busy days, but end fairly early and then can pretty much do whatever I have planned that day.

I'm going to wait a couple days for the next post so its a good one!

PS- devon's going to buy her own ukulele, and so we got a little group! and are gonna try and play at the square on sunday!




1 comment:

  1. Aw that was funny!! Everyone sounds so cultured and musically inclined!!

    ReplyDelete